Monday, December 1, 2008

Dusting Off




Alright, now I am beginning to realize why I put this up in the first place. The rebuild/ reviving of this may take some time, but it should be fun and there seems to be good groups/ resources on the inter-web to help make it happen.
Issues of note out the gate:
  • Bent Front Left Universal Shaft - this is the real reason I put it up as it would blow front bearings in very short order. I assume I will need to find some new front bearings as well.
  • Steering Interference - The steering linkage interferes with the front drive pulley, so much so that there are several chips taken out of the pulley. Still looks workable but I am not sure how to set things up to prevent interference. Hopefully, it wasn't design that way.
  • Bumper Screw - Long ago cross threaded.
  • Tires - Shot, need to find new ones? Are they still out there?

There are other questions as well but I am sure to get the them eventually.

Other things of note. The car was bought second hand and it looks like the original owner did some upgrades. The front hubs (I need to get a parts list to refer to stuff correctly) are plastic and are from Andy's (I still have the original mag ones - which might go back on). There is an RPM front bulkhead - not sure how that is an upgrade. I will keep looking to see if there is anything else.

The old set up was a Novak T5 with standard NiCads and a Futuba reciver. The Twister motor is the only one I ever drove. Worked fine but it seems from looking around we have entered the world of Brushless - another thing to looks into.

For anyone following at home, this is not meant to be a restore in the sense of getting it back to stock. The first set is to getting it running, make some of the upgrade I have wanted to do since I shelved it and see where we are from there. Also I am not much of a blogger but I will try and post something weekly to keep any followers up to date.

Wish me luck.

Edit:
In and effort to link to all the great resource -both people and information I will start tacking on some links at the end of my postings.

3 comments:

Blockhead said...

ok, first of all good luck (as per your own request)

Andy's hubs? Cool, didn't know they even existed.
Interference of the steering link with the belt... I suppose you mean the link from the servo to the steering lever? Ifso, search for a short stud and screw it into the lever from the bottom-side.

Those red tops for the bulkhead look pretty cool, maybe try to colour the wheels the same way?

Anonymous said...

I will take some pictures of the hubs (since they might be more rare then I know) and the steering issue since I have no idea how to fix it.

The red top is just painted - my first paint scheme was like the Ferrari F1 car circa '89. I think my last act with the car was to switch to a new paint job with a new (at the time) Dahm's YZ body. If all goes well I may have to get a new body and roll out a new color scheme - although I think that is last on the list.

Blockhead said...

Paint is good for these parts: I read that boiling them with dye is not a good idea for these specific parts as they deform. Apparently Masami H. painted his also , green ofcourse.

For the wheels you should be ok to clean them with acetome, boiling them with red dye should help to make them look bettter... I think :)