Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What to do....

I was trying to think about what I want to do with the YZ. As I mentioned before I am not really in it to restore it to stock. Heck, I didn't even get it stock. I have been thinking and I am coming to a plan.

First things first. Fix the stuff in the first post.

My first pass on the steering is that the servo saver side was just not tightened down enough. I am still going to pull it and rebuild it, but a few turns dropped the arm down far enough that the interference enough to clear the pulley. The pulley is wreaked and I will have to rebuild it. I need to find a new universal joint for the left side - I have a line on some, but more on that later.

As for wheels and rubber. I was looking (and bidding) on these - Link

2.2's, Full set of Yokomos, and orange. ideal but when I last left($33 + shipping), too expensive. Part of me still wants to jump in and get then, as orange is exactly the color I was looking for. Ugh.

I will need to do some more research on the conversion to 2.2 (non-yokomo) wheels for the YZ. There is a lot of info on RC10Talk, more research to do.

So that is all the starting stuff. Breakdown, clean and rebuild is the next. I would love to track down some aftermarket (Andy's, RPM or other) arms. I wanted them when I was running the car so I want some now. If I can find some, that aren't as expensive as the orange wheels, is another matter.

From there I would like to get to this.
It's the '91 worlds car, but it has a lot of the stuff I thought would make the YZ better. Better suspension, refined chassis w/o the silly stiffener (that drives me crazy). I am not sure how I will get there but it is an inspiration. Even before I get to this, I have my work cut out for me.

More pictures soon.

Links:

1 comment:

Blockhead said...

I think you should be happy not having won those wheels: they are the wrong offset for those '91 arms I believe